Last week, I decided that I was going to jump into a two-fold challenge: beginning August 1st, 365 days of raw food and 60 days of Bikram yoga. Straight. In a row. No excuses. Yeah….. yeah. I know.
For those of you who don’t know, Bikram yoga is 90 minutes and 26 postures in a room that’s a little hotter than the center of Hell. Don’t get me wrong… it’s wonderful, and it’s grueling. Afterwards you feel as if you’ve been rung dry (literally), but there’s also an exhilaration and euphoria felt from knowing that you actually made it through the fire. It’s also a massive detoxifier (all that sweat? No wonder!) and excellent for the muscles.
Why Bikram? Why 365 days of raw? A couple of reasons:
- After playing around with raw foods over the last year, I know that’s how my body feels best.
- I LOVE raw food. Is there anything better than a kale salad? Maybe… a nori roll. With avocado. Oooh…. AVOCADO.
- I tried Bikram a few years ago and fell in love.
- 90 minutes of constant sweat vs. 30-45 minutes of my current workout. The math is undeniable.
- I need that stretch. No matter what exercise I do now, I am NOT getting my full stretch on and I feel like I’m beginning to walk around like an old lady whose had her hips replaced.
Some of you may think I am an extremist… and you wouldn’t be wrong. I know who I am and all my crazy tendencies! You don’t need to remind me, dammit! LOL! But I digress. Here was my wake up call: I recently looked back over my journey and realized that it has been years since I began focusing on weight loss. YEARS. Three, to be exact. When I realized that, I almost had a panic attack. I flipped through my phone to see lots of “before” photos. I read through blog posts to see how I had stopped and started and stopped again. I realize that I have made strides, progress and discoveries, but has it been enough or have I just been playing around?
The old adage of “in order to get something you’ve never had, you have to do something you’ve never done” comes into play and rings in my brain. I am tired of playing around with my health. I am tired of dipping back and forth into cooked foods. I am tired of little victories that turn into steps backwards (or, God forbid, staying the same). To me, the only way to break out of the cycle is extreme, consistent change that creates lasting habits.
Now, I HAVE been exercising during the #Juice60 challenge, and that has been great. However, I want to take it to the next level. I want to take my whole LIFE to the next level.
Ever felt that way?